Original document: Thermion, Axion, Axion Key Firmware Update
Pulsar Axion and Thermion devices can now record sound
Not long ago, Pulsar released an update for their Trail, Helion, and Accolade devices. It brought about major changes concerning the sensor, greatly improving the image quality. Consequently, we have all wondered if Thermion, Axion, and Axion Key would receive any upgrade as well. Well, no need to wait any longer – on 30th of September, 2019, Pulsar announced a firmware upgrade for their brand-new thermals.
What did Pulsar improve with the update? The first major change concerns the sound recording. The ability to record videos with sound is finally here, which takes the experience to a whole new level.
Same as with Trail, Helion, and Accolade, Pulsar improved the image processing by adding new algorithms. This, in turn, enhances the sensitivity of the sensor and results in images more vivid and great in contrast. The improved image quality can be noticed in all the available observation modes.
Forest – Optimal image in conditions of dense vegetation and low-temperature differences, the relief, vegetation, and hot objects are more clearly visible.
Rocks – Optimal display of warm objects in the presence of a large number of objects with different temperatures (sunny day, mountains or city relief) in the field of view.
Identification – Optimally depicts the details of an object when it is necessary to recognize or identify the object, works well under difficult conditions: rain, fog (possibility of more image noise, which is normal for this mode).
Pulsar also managed to improve the video control. You can now pause the video while recording, only capturing the moments that you deem important.
The update brings about some device-specific upgrades as well. In Axion XM, the designation of the UP/ZOOM button has been changed. The short press was used to zoom the image before; now the same is achieved with a long press. The picture in picture mode, accessed via long-press before the update, has been moved to the Main menu. Modes, which you could access via Main menu before the update, can now be reached much faster – with a simple short press of the UP/ZOOM button. The main reason for all these changes was to allow easy access to the mode selection. In Main Menu of Axion XM, you can now find the ‘Sound recording’ option.
for Thermion XM/XP, no controls have been changed. Slight changes have been made to the Main Menu interface – Pulsar moved the observation mode selection to the first place, allowing easy access. As with Axion XM, you can now find the ‘Sound recording’ option in the menu.
Even though it lacks Stream Vision, Axion Key didn’t go unnoticed. You can’t update it via Wi-fi, but it can be updated via cable. You basically need a Windows operated PC with access to the internet, and a USB-cable (you can you the same one that you use for charging).
Notice! Please also make sure you have administrator rights to the PC as you might need to enter the admin password at several stages of the update.
Here are the guidelines for updating an Axion Key device, posted by Pulsar:
- Check the current version of your Axion Key, for that go to your device’s main menu to option “Device information” and check what number do you have next to “FW”. If it’s “1.20.26” your device is up-to-date and you are good to go. If the number is lower than that – please continue with the next steps.
- Visit the Firmware Updates page of our official site https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/support/downloads/firmware-updates/387
- Find and download the Axion Key software update application.
- Run the application on your PC with the Windows operating system. (You might be asked for Admin password at this stage)
- The application will start and check for drivers for the device. If there are no drivers on the computer, the application will request permission to install them. After user confirmation, it will automatically install them.
- After installing the drivers, the application will check the device’s connection to the computer via the USB port. If the device is not connected, a request to connect it appears.
- If the device is connected, the application will check the connected device (SKU, HW). If the device already has the latest software installed, the program will inform you about it, an update is not required.
- If the FW of the device requires updating, the “Update device” button will be activated.
- When you click the “Update device” button, the application will inform you about the successful start of the update and ask you to monitor the further progress of the update. You can observe the update progress in the application window as well as on the display of the device.
- At the end of the firmware upgrade, the device will restart automatically. The new FW is installed; the device is ready for use.